On this episode, I speak with Ryan O’Keefe who is the host of The Penn HealthX Podcast and a second year medical school student at Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. We discuss why it is an amazing moment in history to become a healthcare professional. There are so many opportunities for growth and improvement in healthcare space, and solutions are finally becoming available that the next generation will be able to take advantage of.
As host of The Penn HealthX Podcast, Ryan brings on incredible guests focusing on the intersection of medicine and business, with an emphasis on healthcare management, entrepreneurship, and technology. In this episode we dive into Ryan’s experience that led him to create the podcast and what he has learned from it so far.
It is incredible how similar Ryan’s passions and goals align with what we are trying to do here the The Future of Healthcare. Together people like you, Ryan, and the rest of The Future of Healthcare community can work to create a better future of healthcare.
Enjoy the Episode!
Subscribe to the Podcast: Apple Podcasts | Android | Google Play | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS
– Who is Ryan O’Keefe and why he started his podcast [4:40]
– Why podcast is awesome [8:35]
– Ryan’s favorite podcast guest [13:45]
– The topic on healthcare providers and costs [19:30]
– What’s the focus of Penn HealthX [23:40]
– Figuring out his aspiration through the podcast [27:50]
– A blog, Epi-pen, and prices of healthcare [33:30]
– Health Policy research and his realization [35:50]
– History of health reforms and where we are today in healthcare [40:55]
– Technology and how it affects healthcare [49:02]
– Bad eating habits, addiction, and how it affects the world today [55:35]
– How to truly prevent health conditions (better than drugs) [1:01:40]
– Gamification and getting people addicted [1:04:30]
– Creating a world where being healthy is easy [1:08:00]
– How biohacking plays a role [1:10:00]
– Controversial medicine and pseudoscience [1:11:45]
– Book that influenced Ryan [1:17:20]
– If Ryan could change anything about our healthcare and fitness space what would that be and why? [1:24:08]
– Ryan’s advice for future health professionals. [1:25:30]
– End of interview [1:29:25]
“At the end of the day, Hedge-fund doesn’t really care about my opinion.” [36:20]
“A lot of distrust in medicine and of science comes from not getting nutrition right.” [58:30]
“We need to create a world where it’s more easy to be healthy than it is unhealthy. “ [1:07:50]
“There’s medicine and there’s not medicine. There’s no alternative medicines or supplements. There are things that help you and there are things that don’t.” [1:12:42]
Ryan O’Keefe on LinkedIn